Friday, January 11, 2013

The Last Supper

How do I have 46 page views? Blogger tells me I already have 46 page views. I know those weren't all me.

In the grand scheme of the blogosphere, that's not much, but considering what this blog is, so far, I regret that those 40-some people have viewed it. I feel like it's not ready for primetime, but okay, fine.

I guess I have to be interesting now.

Today, I went to the orientation meeting at our new building. You may remember, I talked in my last post about the news station I work for moving to a shiny new building and how that's inspired me to live a shiny new lifestyle.

The meeting was great. And I got a chance to check out how my new work space is coming along. I have my own cubicle and my own computer and my own phone. My phone is even already programmed with my name on the little screen. Right now, I share my desk space with the guy who has the day shift, so this is very exciting.

I'll also possibly be visible in the background of the evening news every night, which is part of why I want to look my best.

But the coolest thing about the new building is the new neighborhood.

I sat twice at the red light outside of our current building today and watched two different guys walk into the discreetly marked door of the downtown Adult Superstore. Both of them were wearing sweatpants, unsurprisingly.


That's what's across from what we affectionately call, "The Dump." 

Across from the new building, we have a brand new park, called Guthrie Green. We have some of the best restaurants in Tulsa within walking distance. We have a balcony attached to our break room, which has a stunning view of the downtown skyline.



Up until today, my routine was to drive the 20 minutes home to let my dog, Molly, out during my dinner break. I work in the evenings, so I generally will have a small breakfast, a little snack at work, and then I'll pig out on fast food on my way home to let Molly out. 

I have a nifty collection of fast food bags in the floor of my car, at any given time. There's a limited selection of places that are on the way, so I keep them on regular rotation, in order to avoid that knowing look from the person in the window. "Welcome back," they say through the speaker, before I've even fully rolled my window down. They know me too well. I have to switch it up.

Anyway, this brings me to a couple of goals I want to set for the next 12 weeks.

Avoid Fast Food
Stay Downtown
Walk The Dog

These are the three biggies and they may end up being the only goals I strive to stick to for the whole 12 weeks. 

Molly can totally wait the whole day without peeing. I only come home, because I feel guilty for not taking her out for exercise. So, for the next 12 weeks, on work days, I will take her either to the nearby park for a walk around the trail or to the dog park downtown so she can run to her heart's content. Hopefully, this will also make her less clingy and less excitable/aggressive.

Staying downtown for dinner will save money and energy and it will give me a chance to sit and focus on what I'm eating, instead of shoving it down my throat, while behind the wheel. I'll prepare food ahead of time and bring it with me, like a normal, sensible person.

And avoiding fast food is absolutely essential. It will force me to think about my meals before five minutes before I eat. It will save me money, and it almost has to help me lose weight, even if I do eat junk at home. I just at a Sonic blast, as a sort of last meal, and I feel so sick, I think I might puke if I ever see another greasy paper bag or styrofoam cup.

So, that's that. I'll be going grocery shopping tomorrow, in preparation for my first week of work with these new guidelines. More on that tomorrow.

Also today, I did register for our Biggest Loser competition. And while I was talking to my mom about it, I realized how badly the odds are stacked against me. The objective is to lose the highest percentage of one's body weight.

So, say somebody who weighs 130 lbs. wants to lose 10 or 15 lbs. and they enter. If they lose just 10 lbs., that's a 7.69 percent loss. If someone weighs 230 lbs. and they lose 10 lbs., that's a 4.35 percent loss.

No fair. 

For the record, I happen to be closer to the latter example weight. So, I have to lose over 20 lbs. before I can even say I lost 10 percent. That means I have to work harder to get half the results. 

I have a long history with dieting. I was on Weight Watchers once. Twice. Three times. When I was not trying particularly hard at that, I was losing at least a pound a week. They said it was ideal to lose two pounds a week. But I want to lose more than 24 lbs. It just may not happen in 12 weeks.

I want to be realistic about this. Win The Money may not happen, but if I lose 24 lbs. at the end of the challenge, then I'll call that a goal reached.

I weigh again on January 16. I'll share the percentage lost then. No lbs. figures, though--a lady has to retain a certain amount of mystique.

No comments:

Post a Comment