So, what have we learned these past few days?
We've learned I'm a lazy sod.
I'll give you a short recap. I've done not much of anything, except go to work.
The weekend was a lost cause. Freezing rain and my friends asking me out to lunch at Red Lobster ruined my plans on Saturday. Then on Sunday, I stayed in all day and did nothing, and I ate Long John Silver's.
I got it together somewhat as the work week began. Quiznos for lunch in the newsroom. A salad from Wendy's on Tuesday. Subway on Wednesday. I only went home to take Molly out on Tuesday, but I haven't managed to take her to the park before work yet.
Today, I did finally go to the grocery store. So, here in a little bit, I'll have sushi for dinner. I had a sausage sandwich from Starbucks for breakfast, though, so today wasn't totally successful.
I bought a shit ton of fresh fruit. I bought some Slim Fast shakes, because I think I can really pull of a meal replacement sort of plan, with my schedule. And I got some stuff to make a tuna casserole this weekend. That's not very healthy, but it is tasty comfort food. I figure I'll allow myself to have whatever I want, as long as it isn't greasy fast food, and, you know, in moderation.
I got a lot of decaf tea and some hot cocoa and some 100 calorie cookie packs, to satisfy cravings. And I got some microwave healthy choice meals.
I didn't mean to get decaf tea, but it will probably come in handy, and let me tell you why:
My challenge is that I work evenings and I stay up all night. It hampers me in a number of ways. For one, you can't take the dog to the park or go jogging or whatever after 11 p.m. Well, you can, but not in my neighborhood. Not if you value your life.
You can't vacuum or do laundry between the hours of 11 p.m. and 3 a.m., when you live in an apartment with no washer and dryer.
And when you stay up until 3 or 4 a.m., you don't wake up until after 10 a.m. If you do, you're not getting the kind of sleep you really need to be healthy and functional.
But when you wake up after 10 a.m., that only leaves you an hour or two before you have to get ready for work.
I know all of this, and yet I still do it. I'm wound up when I get off work at 11 p.m., and I want to catch up on TV shows or play a game or read to chill out. If I could whittle my time spent doing that down to, like, an hour, I'd be good to go but that's easier said than done.
And coming home and immediately putting the kettle on for tea was not helping. So, that's where the decaf comes in.
But with that schedule, you can see how I could easily stick to a plan of oatmeal or cereal and a piece of fruit for breakfast, a Slim Fast shake for lunch, maybe a little snack for tea, and then a nice dinner.
That seems totally doable, as long as I keep food in the house. Again, if you wake up two hours before you need to go to work and you don't get off until 11 p.m., grocery shopping becomes an inconvenience.
So, the key to any of this working is to sort out my schedule. I see that now. Challenge for tomorrow:
Get My Ass In Bed Before 1
One other thing: I did lose 1 lb. this week, somehow. And I was feeling pretty good about it, until I saw the email from HR with the results of everybody else's weigh-in. I came in last. Everybody else lost at least 1 percent. I didn't even crack half a percentage point.
If I lose 4-5 lbs., that would be 2 percent.
Lose 2 Percent.

No comments:
Post a Comment