Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tough Day

Work Up A Sweat - Fail

I didn't even try to work out today or yesterday. So, yeah. Big fat nothing on that one.

I did, however, work my ass off today. From the moment I sat down at my desk, I was busy and I stayed busy for about seven hours before I got any kind of lull.

Police made arrests in the biggest murder case in Tulsa in recent history, and I got to cover it. It was damned exciting. It is such a rush when the newsroom apparatus gets moving on a big story. So much of my job is copying and pasting what the reporters write in their scripts, so it's a pleasure when I get the chance to be a proper journalist. Granted, I still had to do it all from my cubicle, but that's the power of live streaming.

There was a ton of little bits of spot news on top of it, plus a full load of packages, since everybody is working during sweeps.

I'm not complaining. At my last job, I sat around playing iPhone games after doing the whole day's work in the first fifteen minutes. It was soul-crushing. I longed to be busy, then, so I don't take it for granted.

Busy is good.

But it also triggers this Pavlovian response, where if I have a taxing day I think I deserve a treat. When I got off work, I wanted cake in the worst way. I really, really wanted some fucking cake.

I argued with myself all the way home and then passed my apartment and went straight to Walgreens. They didn't have anything that looked appetizing, cake-wise, so I chose Ben & Jerry's. I wanted Phish Food, but I got Cherry Garcia FroYo. I had some Healthy Choice frozen Greek yogurt at home, but I still felt I needed the B&J. And it was much better than what I had at home. It hit the spot and it felt like an indulgence, and I still managed to stay within my calorie budget, so it wasn't even that big of a deal.

I still want some fucking cake.

In other news, I lost a little over a pound this week. Nothing to write home about, but every pound helps.

I need to work out to accelerate the losing, though.

Work Up A Sweat

No comments:

Post a Comment